Monday, October 29, 2012

Condemnation and Recantation of Galileo

The theme of this reading is submission. Galileo was required to submit to the church and tell them that everything he had discovered was a "lie."
Galileo  never actually admitted to believing in a heliocentric universe, even though his writings allow us to believe that he does. However, even the mere fact that he was presenting ideas opposite to the Bible as probable was considered heresy. His trial was conducted in such a manner that everyone against him was on the jury. The text book says that the pope would have been seen as weak if he had accepted Galileo's defense.
I am surprised how fully and humbly Galileo recanted everything he had discovered. He knew it was true, yet he submitted to the church and even went so far as to apologize for saying what he said. I guess, if it had been me, I would have done the same thing just to keep the peace. Depressing.
As I wrote that last paragraph, I saw that Galileo and I are not much different. When I first read about it, I saw him as a weakling and that he should have stood up for what he believed. However, I started thinking about how I am harmonious to the point of foregoing stating my own opinions in order to keep the peace. Galileo was just doing whatever he could to keep the peace.
Modernly, this could be compared to the Amish. The reason I thought of them is because they have a strict way of living, and it's based off of the Bible. If any of their children go against what the Amish believe, they are excommunicated from the community. In a way, they are put in the same position that Galileo was in...either recant and stick with what the church believes or be punished.

No comments:

Post a Comment